Monday 16 January 2012

I Went To See A Kid's Film And All I Got Was This Lousy Blog Post



I saw Martin Scorsese's film Hugo. It was a kid's film. It inspired my co-watcher, who loved it. I wanted to love it. It just didn't impact me. I couldn't suspend disbelief; for a film set in Paris, why was everyone speaking in a variety of British accents? And why is it that as long as you copy the colour scheme from Amelie you can safely pretend that your location is French? Bah.



The two good things about this film were the bookshop and its owner (who were shown all too briefly), and the variety of knits on display. They were the only things I couldn't stop looking at. Hugo's garter stitch jumper was lovely.


As was the wide garter stitch scarf below, which I think I will make one day. The humble garter stitch scarf may be the most easiest thing to knit, but it is a beautiful bit of texture to have on hand on a cold day. Especially in the colours here, even if they are poached from Amelie.


Okay, so I do also like the amount of references of early cinema this film had. It might just have been better in a documentary form rather than this film. It was all a little bit not quite right for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment