Tuesday 6 September 2011

Tuneful Tuesday: Deliciously Over-the-Top Bollywood

I love a good Bollywood number or too, I'll admit it. My tastes are shameless. I know all the words to songs my Indian friends would groan upon hearing. The more deliriously sequinned and romantic the better. If there is copious amounts of rain, all the better. If there are cameos by famous actors, all the better. If there are multiple wardrobe changes, all the better. Here are a couple of my most recent favourites. Perhaps the one thing they all have in common is that each has made me dance madly around the house when no one else was home, complete with lip synching and highly emotive facial expressions.


Laung Da Lashkara from the film Patiala House. My favourite line is 'Patiala peg lagake naachunga'. Translated it means I'll drink a Patiala peg (a measure of spirits) and dance.' Funny, that's what I do too.


Jab Se Tere Naina from Saawariya. Based on a story by Dostoevsky apparently. Copious amounts of nudity, for Bollywood. Need I say more? Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the director always has lavish sets. I think the inspiration for this was Moulin Rouge.


Munni Badnaam Hui from Dabangg. The main line of the song translated means 'Munni (a girl's name) has a bad reputation, because of you darling.' A saucy number it is. Also, the actress in this is dancing to this saucy song with her brother-in-law, the actor in the police uniform. More than a little creepy.


Barso Re from Guru. Aishwarya is actually tolerable in this clip. She's stunning of course, that goes without saying. Just not a very good actress, in my opinion. She also does have a propensity to be in songs where she gets caught in the rain. Mind you, that seems to be a fairly common plot point. Not that I mind. I love rain. And this one also has goats!


Last but not least, Dhoom Taana from Om Shanti Om. Fantastic film, one of the first that was somewhat self-reflexive about the film industry. All the actors that are in this film are from old classic films, and all the costume changes are also homages to these old films. I think the actors were done by blue screen or some fancy similar way. Too lovely it is. Especially the first guy, the topless one with the big silver chain around his neck. I <3 Sunil Dutt.

No comments:

Post a Comment