Sunday 11 September 2011

Sew Accomplished



I feel very much like a sixth Miss Bennet these days. Possibly a bit pre-empted, since I’ve only just started sewing, and I can’t play the piano or do tatting or embroider and am not in the least concerned with ribbon as the proper Bennets are. But I’ve started sewing at least! And I love it! Already I’ve learnt the power of tacking (as my mother learnt the power of tacking and so passed it onto me), and I can sew and pin and cut and hem tentatively but proudly. The pattern is from Simplicity Lisette, and you can find it here.

I felt so incredibly happy and Bennet-ish while hemming my dress that I can’t wait to try my hand at more! The dress sits quite well. I'm somewhat of a conservative when it comes to dresses; this one sits just above my knee.

The darts in dresses always concern me a little. The boob darts are potentially problematic because all ladies are differently endowed. There is always a risk that the darts will end up making you look like you're wearing Madonna's conical bra underneath. This dress is more forgiving; the darts are sewn in an interesting V shape in the front, which I guess makes it architectural as well as functional.

It seems infinitely more justifiable to spend money on fabric rather than buying pre-made stuff because they are so cheap to make yourself. There is also a fairly solid guarantee that they will be original. And how lovely to be able to say proudly ‘I made it myself’! Completely egotistical of course; that is Caroline Bingley getting in the way of my modest accomplishments. At least I am and will probably always be incredibly crap at piano. And will probably never give a toss about ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment