Thursday 14 July 2011

Mumbai blasts

It is very saddening that Mumbai has again become the target of an attack. Such senseless violence is beyond my understanding. These blasts occurred at rush hour, when people were just heading home from work. What does injuring or killing a handful of humans do for them? What could it possibly achieve?

I heard the Dadar blast from my apartment, and my PG mate was on Chowpatty when the Opera House blast occurred. She thought it was thunder. I didn't know what it was, but it made me jump. I always got scared when I heard a loud bang in this city. Because of it's history, I always feared the worst. I never thought it would actually happen.

It is horrifying to see how people have become numb to it too. I spoke to a local friend and he said that at least it wasn't as bad as the last time, or the time before that. Comparatively, it wasn't. Another friend from Bombay just sent me this from the BBC news website:

'One striking feature of Dadar is that a lot of shops have remained open. Although some have shut down, many have chosen to go about business as usual and people have been buying groceries. There is no evidence of real panic in Dadar.'

Rumours were flying thick and fast. That it occurred on the same day as Kasab's birthday, the only person captured for the 26/11 attacks (it didn't); that it was the anniversary of the 2007 train blasts (not quite, it is two days after); that there were eight bombs, but only three had gone off so far. I hope there is no more violence in this city.

Luckily, no one I know was in those three areas. For the people who were injured (no deaths have been reported so far), my thoughts go out to them and their families.

I love you, Mumbai. We are thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment