Saturday 24 December 2011

On Wanky Blog Posts That Begin With ‘On...’ And Then List An Abstract Noun Such As ‘Beauty’ or ‘Truth’. This Blog Post Is 'On That Type Of Shit'

I guess you’ve spotted that meta-narrative already. This post is needed because I looked at the list of blogs I subscribe to and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I was looking into the future. And it was so incredibly ugly.

The vast majority of the craft-type blogs I read come from a similar demographic; middle aged, middle class women who often like cats, are multi-craftual (holy fuck, I’m even using their language), are academics or studying to be academicians (or are in related professional fields), are concerned about their impact on the environment (i.e.- whether they eat organic, or have wool from sustainable farms, or are contributing to rabid capitalism through their fabric purchases) and about proper forms of netiquette.

I’m middle class. I like cats. I’m dual craftual. I went to university. I’m so very, very scared. Am I looking into the deep dark future? Will I end up like these women, pretending so very hard to be edgy and cool with their layered bobs and their quirkily named pets? Boasting about their skills in a very modest way? Writing lengthy, aimless blog posts with no real argument and sans conclusion about ‘issues that they feel strongly about but that don’t get addressed in the mainstream’? Gushing about the community of craftspeople out there?

Oh, spew. I need to balance that shit out. Time this blog got more balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment