Thursday 10 November 2011

The Ryan Gosla-thon



Today marks the first part of my intrepid adventure into the world of Ryan Gosling films. Well, I tell a lie. I am only pretending about the serious film analysis part of it. It is just a chance to gaze upon his pecs with drool gathering at the corner of my mouth. Hardly going where no one has ever gone before.

Nevertheless, the Gosla-thon will go on. I managed to catch one of the last shows of Crazy, Stupid Love today, at least three weeks behind the rest of the world. As far as films go, it was okay. It was enjoyable enough, it was slightly funny, and it had Ryan Gosling in it. You can’t really ask for more from a Hollywood RomCom. Analeigh Tipton, who plays the babysitter, is a particularly striking young woman and played a good role.

And then there was Ryan Gosling, playing a suave well-dressed womaniser. My favourite scene is the one wherein the camera pans from his arse to his shoulders in the warm yellow light from a bedside lamp as he bends over Emma Stone. I sound like a creep because I am, by the way. I paid $18 to watch a film for a 15 second shot of Ryan Gosling’s fine physique. The sad part is that it was entirely worth it.

Seriously, this Gosla-thon thing is entirely an accident. He just happens to be in two movies that have slightly overlapped release dates, both of which I wouldn’t mind seeing. A quick IMDB search revealed that I’ve seen more of his films than I first realised. I’ve also seen The Notebook (something which probably shouldn’t really be mentioned in public) and Lars and the Real Girl. Lars was a great movie. The family really warms the cockles of your heart.

A good chiselled jaw and a cool demeanour make everything all right with the world, really. The Gosla-thon is therefore not only a foray into new cinematic masterworks, nor merely an excuse to wilt over the physical and (I believe) psychological perfection that is Ryan Gosling. It is also a way of reminding us as a society of our common humanity. Can you tell I have an Arts degree?

The next part of humanitarian re-affirmation is Drive. Stay tuned. Heaven knows I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment