Wednesday 19 October 2011

Take Shelter from Take Shelter



I would gladly have Michael Shannon’s babies. I would also gladly be his long-suffering wife. I would draw the line, however, at supporting his affiliation with the film Take Shelter.

That said it is not a bad film. The majority of it is very well done; superbly acted, beautifully shot, tense and thoughtful. It is just the end that is abysmal. Not in terms of the emotional content, but in terms of ridiculous plot twists.

Clumsy plot twists ruin films for me. I know that endings can be the most difficult things about writing, but I also believe that they should be given enough time to be worked out properly. Twists at the end of films should be done with a high amount of discretion, because they are so easy to get wrong.

Mr Jeff Nichols got this one all wrong. Take Shelter progressed as a fine, tense film about personal struggles and twisted into a supernatural hybrid mandrake beast. I don’t know what possessed him; I can only surmise that it was the old Writer’s Block when it comes to endings. I saw it all the time in my Undergrad days of editing seminars, and experience it myself all the time.

Maybe this is a reason why being a Writer/Director is a potentially dangerous thing. I think there is much to be said about collaborating on works; fresh perspectives are always a good thing for writers. Too often I think that writing is seen as a solitary pastime. Seeking help is a fine thing to be able to do. It is also good sometimes to have someone there to slap you upside the head and tell you to get your head out of your own literate arse.

Mr Nichols, on the bizarre and unlikely chance that you are reading this, please next time hire someone to help you out. I am available during regular office hours, and fully prepared to spend late nights with you talking over scripts and Michael Shannon.

I wouldn’t recommend Take Shelter. However, I would always encourage people to go and see new things. Why the heck not; see it. Just don’t expect the brilliancy that the hype suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment