Wednesday 14 September 2011

Biting Off More Than I Can Knit

Not content with being a one-knit wonder (har har, see what I did there?), I’ve decided to start TWO new projects.

The first will revisit my dear friend the colour Yellow. This is wool from the same batch as Yellow Hat (ingeniously named, I know), and will be a birthday gift for a girl I’ve never met before. Like that’d stop me hoisting my craft on the unsuspecting mite. The thing is, I’ve heard she has quite a penchant for the 1950s and has Betty Page-black hair. I need no further information. A suitable candidate has been found; her head is mine.

In honour of her penchant, I am going to knit a vintage turban. The pattern is from Ravelry of course, and I am excited to see how well some of the others have turned out. Let’s see how well I can translate 1950s knitting language into the kind of knitting gibberish I speak.

The second project is one I’ve had in the back of my mind for a while. When my friend’s beloved grandmother passed away, my friend gave me all her grandmother’s wool because she knew that I loved to knit. From the immense stash I picked out these balls of wool.

They are going to become an Ice Cream Blanket. The colours of them side by side reminded me of displays of ice cream in those long, rectangular metal buckets.

Mint, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla; yum! I am hungry already. I thought I’d keep this as a fairly mindless knit because of the potential confuzzlement that might be wrought by the turban. I’m using this Super Easy Baby Blanket from Purl Bee as a rough guide. My motto here; when in doubt, garter stitch.

I should suggest that my friend start making babies so I can keep the wool in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment