Monday 15 August 2011

Lazy Mother-Frogger



I have three wips on, but all the lights are out. My delicious yellow hat has four rows to go- just four! But I just can’t bring myself to finish it for some reason. I don’t want to mess it up again. My newly started maroon hat has one row done. And that was started a week or more back. I am a lazy mother frogger.

The third is the one above. It is a lace scarf using the pattern from this beautiful Que Sera lace cardigan by Kirsten Kapur. Lace was never really on my radar. I am much more of a Cable lover. I just love the texture of them. You know that feeling when you see beautiful cables in a hat or a jumper, and you just want to squish them and rub yourself against them. Dirty I know, but tell me it’s not true.

Compared to cables, lace just seemed a little too bland. Okay, bland is the wrong word. Maybe it was just too subtle for me. I like seeing a cabled woollen jumper from across the room and wanting to run and jump on the person wearing it. I couldn’t be arsed most of the time at squinting at the detail in lace.

I think it changed when I saw this Katharine Hepburn cardigan and fell in love with it. The allusion to the 1940s then obviously spread beyond to Kapur’s lace cardigan; then I saw Herbert Niebling’s work, Estonian lace, and the rest was history.

However, I soon realised upon starting my lace Peacock scarf (so called because of the colours in that beautiful wool and silk blend, sent to me from Toronto) that LACE TAKES FOREVER TO KNIT. I have a short attention span, which is probably why I like knitting hats. I need something relatively quick. Some colour, some movement. Not hours and hours and hours of knitting holes. By this stage in my endless lace scarf, this is what I now think lace knitting is; spending all your time purposefully knitting holes in wool. And knitting holes will clearly only be finished at Forever O’Clock.

I am despairing of it. One day I’m sure I will restart it. I’m also sure that once it is finished and blocked, my knees will go weak for lace again. Not right now though, because not only am I lazy, I’m also a vengeful mother frogger. No Lace For You.

No comments:

Post a Comment