Monday 11 July 2011

Cherry Poppin', Stitch Droppin'



My beautiful yellow hat! It is beautiful, if I can blow my own trumpet. It is also unravelling fast. No knitting pun intended. I dropped a stitch on my third last row. The problem with this is that I can’t pick up stitches. A fatal flaw in a knitter.

My mother did try and teach me how. I was listening too, I’m sure of it. The problem is that when I drop a stitch, I start to panic. Pickitup, pickitup, pickitup! I get more and more panicky because I can’t think straight enough to pick the damned thing up and as that happens, stitches unravel quicker and quicker, further and further into the work. It is usually quite a Shakespearean tragedy by the end. I become the Lady Macbeth of the craft world, all my machinations (re: fuzzy hats) falling down around my ears.

I am currently in mourning for my yellow hat. I have managed to stop the unravelling and am currently debating about whether to completely undo it and start again or LEARN TO PICK UP STITCHES. Luckily I am staying with an Aunty at the moment who has said she will take a look at it.

Time to revise my list about what I will miss from Mumbai: Aunties who fix (hopefully) bad knitting mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment